What are my tax obligations if the CRA deems me a factual resident?
According to the CRA, as a factual resident your income is taxed as if you never left Canada. As such, you will continue to:
- report all income you receive from sources inside and outside Canada for the year and claim all deductions that apply to you;
- claim all federal and provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credits that apply to you;
- pay federal tax and provincial or territorial tax for the province or territory where you keep residential ties;
- claim any federal and provincial or territorial refundable tax credits that apply to you; and
- be eligible for the GST/HST credit (goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax), Canada child tax benefit, and the universal child care benefit.